Oral B is an excellent brand with an extensive line of options. Today we will be taking a side by side look at two of the entry-level options – Oral-B Pro 1000 and Oral-B Pro 3000– to see which of them is right for your needs.
Before we start, I would say if you have made the decision to switch from a manual toothbrush to an electric you are probably already well aware of the fact that there are a lot of choices out there. Maybe you aren’t just choosing a company either because once you do decide on a brand there is still plenty of options to consider that are each loaded with a very particular set of features.
Like we have introduced in our previous product review, the Pro 1000 is positioned as one of the more simple handles of the line. While it isn’t lacking in anything that is critical to the function of the handle it also doesn’t’ come with as many of the high tech features that a lot of newer brushes boast. That said, it is still powerful, and if you are looking for a good brush that is designed to remove plaque from the gum line this is a great option to consider.
The Pro 3000, on the other hand, falls into the category of what one might call, “a smart brush.” Like the Oral B 1000, it is also very powerful, but the Pro 3000 benefits additionally from Bluetooth technology that will allow you connect your brush to your phone to receive detailed feedback on your brushing. In addition to its features and multiple modes of use, the focus of the Oral B 3000 is to remove surface stains on your teeth for a whiter smile.
Since the Oral B 3000 is newer and more loaded with technologies, it is positioned as something of a deluxe brush or you can say it’s above the entry-level, and that is generally reflected in the price.back to menu ↑
Appearance and Designing
With both of these handles, you are getting a fairly standard electric toothbrush design. Both handles are relatively compact, with plain but eye-pleasing faceplates. The faceplate of the Oral B 1000 is entirely uncluttered and features only a power switch with which you can turn the device on or off. The faceplate of the Oral B 3000 is laid out similarly but also features a button that will allow you to work through the devices 3 modes.
The Oral B 1000 gives you 3 color options of its brush handle including white, sky blue and black, and the Oral B 3000 also offers 2 basic colors including white and blue.
|Pro 1000(White)||Pro 1000(Sky blue)||Pro 1000 (Black)|
|View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
|Pro 3000 (White)||Pro 3000 (Blue)|
|View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
Key Difference between Oral-B Pro 1000 and Pro 3000
As mentioned earlier, the Oral B 1000 is something of a basic brush, relative to the offerings of the Oral B 3000. While the 3000 provides users with 3 unique modes of use that provide a custom brushing experience, the Oral B 1000 features only 1 standard setting. As also important to know that, 1000 is also lacking in the Bluetooth and app support that the 3000 benefits from.
- For those unaware, the Bluetooth technology that is at work in the 3000 will allow users to connect the handle to their cell phones, and access data via the Oral B app. The app then tracks your brushing progress, which subsequently helps you to improve your routine and let you store the data of up to 20 sessions, for more comprehensive data collection.
- Technology aside, however, these handles simply are not made to do exactly the same thing. The speed at which the Oral B 1000 operates, as well as the “CrossAction” bristles featured on the head make it the perfect option for people looking for a better cleaning and plaque removal along the gum line.
- The Oral B 3000 will of course also be very capable of removing plaque around the gum line, but it is primarily marketed around its ability to quickly whiten your teeth via the removal of stains. This whitening is accomplished primarily through the design of the brush head, which features a unique “polishing cup” in its center.
- The Oral B 3000 also features 3 unique modes of brushing (Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive Mode) that are designed to provide a more specialized brushing experience. For the user that needs to take a more specialized approach to their teeth cleaning, this feature will serve you quite nicely.
- Additionally, the 3000 features a visible pressure sensor that lights up and stops the brush from pulsating if you press too hard. Since electric toothbrushes can be hard on the gums without proper technique, this is a feature that many users will benefit from.
|Key Features||Oral-B Pro 1000||Oral-B Pro 3000|
|Brushing modes||1 Mode: Daily Clean||3 Modes: Daily Clean,|
Gum Care and Sensitive
|Remove 300% more plaque||✓|
|Polishing cup for whiter teeth||✓|
|2-Minute Pro Timer||✓||✓|
|Pressure sensor |
(Visible with LED lights)
|Rechargeable NiMH battery|
(up to 7 days with regular use)
|Battery indicator lights||✓||✓|
& Oral-B APP
|1x CrossAction brush head||✓|
|1x Pro White brush head||✓|
|1x Basic charger||✓|
|1x Charger with storage |
for 4 refill heads
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Pros and Cons
- Efficient: This next pro applies to most electric toothbrushes (or at least it applies to all of the good ones), but it is nevertheless worth mentioning. With either handle, you are going to get to enjoy a clean that is three times more effective than manual brushes at removing germs and bacteria. The improved efficiency is going to lead to a healthier mouth and less stressful trips to the dentist’s office.
- Tech: For some people, the app support and Bluetooth capabilities in the Oral B 3000 are going to be much appreciated. While these features might not be for everyone, it is nevertheless nice to see Oral B keeping up with industry standards. App support is a feature that most high-end handles are currently embracing so it is good to see Oral B do the same.
- Timer and Pacer: Both brushes feature a built-in timer and pacer. The timer is designed to ensure that you brush for the dentist recommended two minutes, while the pacer is in place to vibrate every thirty seconds to remind you to alternate which areas of your mouth you focus on. Though relatively simple, these features can go a long way towards improving your brushing.
- Modes (Oral B 3000): Not everyone needs multiple modes of use, but for the person with specific dental care needs (such as sensitive gums or teeth) the options can be game changers. While the multiple modes of use offered by the 3000 are accompanied by a significant hike in price, they will also give users with unique needs the chance to enjoy a customized clean that caters to their situation.
- Affordable (Oral B 1000): Affordability is, of course, entirely relative to your budget but that said, it is worth noting that compared to many similar products the Oral B 1000 is priced very competitively. Now, if you want the more advanced features of the 3000, it is going to set you back a little bit more, but if all you are after is a basic but efficient electric brush, you can get one for a price that doesn’t break the bank.
- Price (Oral B 3000): While the Oral B 1000 is priced quite competitively, the 3000 is not as much so. While there are certainly more expensive handles out there, this brush nevertheless is often priced at 2 times more than what you can get 1000 for. Frankly, the hike in the price of 3000 here does not seem proportionate to the upgrade in features or offering you more accessories (at least I think the travel case is very necessary). If you have the money and value the app support, or multiple modes, the price hike might be worth it to you. Those on a tighter budget, on the other hand, will most definitely favor the Oral B 1000.
Conclusions and Suggestions
Wondering which of these brushes are right for you? If all you are looking for is a powerful handle that will serve as a stark upgrade to the manual brush that you have been using, the Oral B 1000 will probably sufficiently serve your needs.
However, if you have had an electric toothbrush before, and are already familiarized with their more basic features, you might want to give the 3000 a try. The extra features are sure to be a big plus for people that take their oral hygiene seriously.
The good news is that either brush will do an excellent job of keeping your gums clean and your smile beautiful. At the end of the day, that’s all you can expect from an electric brush anyway.