No doubt, the Sonicare DiamondClean series is one of Philips’ most popular electric toothbrushes recently. This amazing toothbrush is highly effective as well as visually appealing infused with the sonic technology to deliver an unparalleled performance.
The first Sonicare DiamondClean (model HX9352/04) was released in early 2016, we are delighted to hear that Philips had updated the DiamondClean range and we were wondering what new improvements Philips might have come up with this time.
The updated DiamondClean brushes are available in 3 purchasing options.
- HX93X2/XX – Basic version(HX9352/10–Black HX9362/10–Pink HX9392/05-Rose Gold HX9372/10–Amethyst HX9332/10–White)
- HX9393/10 – Newly released version, this new version that comes with a wireless charging pad
- S8880/88 – Norelco Premium Men’s Care Kit, includes Diamondclean electric toothbrush and Philips Norelco shaver
For the HX93X2/XX, you can choose from 5 colors editions: Pink, Rose Gold, Amethyst, Black, and White. These are numbered differently (HX9352/10, HX9332/10, HX9352/10, HX9362/10, and HX9392/05) but they all include the same features and accessories. The black edition (HX9352/04) the first edition released in DiamondClean series and other 4 colors are the latest editions. Personally, I think the Rose Gold edition looks particularly elegant.
For the newly released version – HX9393/10, it offers one more wireless charging function and provides you a decent looking charging pad. In addition to the innovative charging pad, its overall function is consistent with the basic version and only the black edition is available at the moment.
For the Norelco Premium Men’s Care Kit – S8880/88, we think it is an attempt that Philips wants to make cross product line sells between the relevant personal care products. Of course, the Norelco series is also a well-known brand of Philips electric shavers, so this kit is a powerful combination of two “first” products.
This rechargeable toothbrush with its diamond-shaped bristles is clinically proven to remove 7 times more plaque and whiten teeth compared to the manual toothbrush. It has 5 cleaning modes to deliver optimum oral hygiene. The Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean includes a perfect charging glass and a USB travel case for your convenience. What stands out is that this toothbrush will last 3 weeks after a 24-hour battery charge. Also, it may deliver up to 12 additional uses after the amber alert of low battery levels.
The DiamondClean is definitely a high-end brush, but curiously these models lack modern functions like a smartphone APP and pressure sensor. Perhaps Philips felt that the excellent quality of some features makes up for the lack of others.
The good news is that Philips has integrated these necessary features (benchmarking with Oral-B) in their new releases in 2017. If you’re interested in the interactive sensors and synchronized APP technologies, I suggest you have a look at the DiamindClean Smart and FlexCare Platinum Connected. I am sure that you will have a new understanding of Philips technical application.
Key Features & Technologies
Advanced Sonic Technologies:
Sonicare DiamondClean and its companion models move at an impressive 31,000 brushstrokes a minute, but they managed to do this in a gentle way which will not damage your gums or tooth enamel.
Philips’s patented sonic technology pushes fluid all along the gum line and between the teeth to reduce the chance of food getting stuck and contributing to gum disease. You will most likely notice your gums looking and feeling healthier within just a few weeks, and it’s safe to use even with braces, fillings, veneers, and crowns.
Considerate Cleaning Modes
Sonicare DiamondClean has 5 cleaning modes that will be familiar to anyone who has used a Sonicare brush recently. They are clean, White, sensitive, gum care and deep clean.
In all 3 packages, the Sonicare DiamondClean offers 5 different cleaning modes. You can easily cycle through them using the power button. “Clean” mode gives you a superior every day clean. “Gum Care” mode massages gums for improved oral health. “Sensitive” mode gives a gentle clean to teeth and gums. “White” mode gives extra time to remove surface stains and “Deep Clean” mode gives a sustained and invigorating deep clean.
Smartimer and Quadpacer Simplify Brushing
All the brushes time your brushing and pulse to tell you when to change to a different quadrant of your mouth. The Smartimer let you know when the dentist recommended 2 minutes of brushing it up. The Quadpacer tells you to change quadrant you’re brushing every 30 seconds. This seems gimmicky at first but is very useful when you get used to it, as it’s so easy to under or over-brush when you’re not concentrating. After a few brushes, you won’t want to be without it.
Excellent Charging options
When it comes to power, the Sonicare DiamondClean battery holds it charges for a remarkably long period of time, which is up to 3 weeks or so on a single charge.
the Sonicare DiamondClean comes with an elegant charging glass which is great to display your brush in while it sits charging. You can as well use the glass for rinsing your mouth after brushing. The addition of amber coloring to match the brush to the base of the glass is a really nice touch. This similar coloring is repeated for the other models, and the included USB travel case is also colored in the same way for a unified feel.
The USB charging travel case is convenient when you’re on the move as it will charge off a laptop as well as the more usual wall socket. This makes it ideal for when you are traveling since you can take it anywhere. To charge, you connect the case to a laptop or plug it into a wall socket. Then you place your brush in the travel case, and there you go, a perfect charge.
All the brushes have a battery indicator light that glows to let you know when power is running low and is ready for a recharge.
This brush brings oral hygiene to light, unlike any other electric toothbrush, it has the perfect finish a toothbrush could have. Its blends it elegant matte black ceramic with the LED controls which illuminates from the inside and fade off when the brush is not in use. This appealing appearance makes it best suitable for any modern bathroom. Its ceramic surface is less porous than plastic giving it a better grip and firm touch on the hand as well the matte finish tops it all and inhibits staining.
back to menu ↑
Accessories & Packages
This rechargeable toothbrush comes with 3 interchangeable heads.
- The DiamondClean head gets its name from the way that the bristles are bunched in a diamond arrangement and it features a central stain removal pad with densely packed bristles to remove plaque and stains from each tooth’s surface. It whitens 2X as well as manual brushing and removes up to twice as many stains as a manual toothbrush in just one week. Whatever the science behind this design, it works well, and your teeth will feel and look noticeably cleaner.
- The AdaptiveClean head is so named because it can follow the unique contours of the brusher’s teeth and gums, thanks to its soft and flexible rubber sides. This gives you four times more surface contact than a DiamondClean brush head and ten times more plaque removal than a manual toothbrush. Even difficult-to-reach areas get a good clean without irritating your gums.
- The third brush-head is called the Inter-Care and it features extra-long bristles which are densely packed. These are ideal for reaching the hidden plaque that can get stuck deep in the gaps between teeth, and it’s clinically proven to reduce bleeding gums and inflammation in 2 weeks.
As previously stated, these 3 buying options offer what is essentially the same brush, the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean. Buying the basic edition (HX93X2/XX) gets you the handle, 3 brush heads, 1 charging glass, 1 charger base, 1 charging travel case, 1 USB cable, One USB wall plug.
Please note that the charging glass should be used together with the charging base, which means you need to put the glass on the charger base before you put the brush handle into the glass since there is no direct power sock on the glass.
If you go for the slightly more expensive Philips sonic DiamondClean Wireless Charging edition (HX9393/10) you get a sleek black brush handle with 2 Diamond clean standard heads and 1 adaptive clean head, 1 set of deluxe travel pouch and wireless charging pad. The brush sits on this black colored base to get its charge, but because it uses the Qi standard it will also charge similarly enabled devices, so if you have a Qi-enabled smartphone, you can charge it there too.
The travel case with this package has a dark leather look to it that will probably appeal more to men than women.
The third buying option is the Norelco premium man’s care kit (S8880/88) in. In looks, the brush is identical to the wireless charging brush and it features the same promise of 7X better plaque removal than a manual toothbrush and the usual 5 brushing modes. But it comes as part of a retro-inspired kit that also features the matching IconiQ special edition shaver. This has black and gold accents which match the brush both items can be powered up on the wireless charging pad.
If you are simply in the market for a toothbrush then this third option will seem like an extravagance. The kit costs roughly 3 times the price of the wireless brush alone, which means that you’re paying as much as you would for 2 brushes and getting a shaver with a couple of accessories as well. That said, it’s a great shaver that does a good job. It’s a luxury item and is priced accordingly, so it’s really up to you as to whether you think it’s worth the extra investment.
back to menu ↑
Sonicare DiamondClean vs Sonicare DiamondClean Smart
The cheapest of these 3 different offerings from Philips start at around $220 mark, and none of them feature smart technology. So, it’s interesting to compare them to the Sonicare DiamondClean Smart (HX9903/41), which comes with Bluetooth and the Philips phone APP that guides your brushing and tracks your oral health. It also comes with the sleek glass holder and storage case, although this one doesn’t feature USB charging. Compared side by side like this, it’s hard to ignore it as an alternative, especially as it also features a pressure sensor.
Of course, this brush is only an alternative if you want your phone to tell you how to brush and take notes on you! And is a pressure sensor something that you really need? For some people, the good looks of the other models might be appealing enough without the extra “bells and whistles”.back to menu ↑
Pros & Cons
- 5 brushing modes suitable for any mouth type and even cater for sensitive gums.
- Minimalist designing concept and pretty nice shape of the handle grip. Variety of modes with different brush handle colors is also good idea to improve the sales
- Dual charging system (inductive charge cup or charging in the travel case). Long battery lifespan that lasts up to 3 weeks on a single charge.
- Smartimer and Quadpacer give a right guidance and simplify brushing
- Sonicare has a more pleasant buzzing sound than more mechanical sound like Oral-B
- Lack of the popular functions like pressure sensor and smart APP (I think the timer and quadrant will be more sufficiently if you can saw the real-time instructions display that tells you when to move to the which section on the APP)
- This is one of the most expensive series of Philips although it has missed above functions
- Switching the mode during your brushing is not convenient, the switching button was integrated with the power button, you have to press the button serval times if you want to select from the first mode to the last one.
In all its different guises, the Philips DiamondClean electric toothbrush offers an excellent clean. It is generally more than a toothbrush and comes with top-notch accessories too. All are well-designed and look good, and each offers one or two nice accessories. Built-in USB chargers on cases are a thoughtful touch.
Some may look elsewhere because of the generally high prices, but buyers attracted by the excellent design and appearance of these brushes would do well to look for discounts, as they always seem to be on offer by at least one of the major retailers at any time.