Technology development has cut across the board and has even affected the manufacture of toothbrushes. Electric toothbrushes are becoming popular in many adults, as they are more effective in preventing plaque buildup.
However, a challenge that parents face is how to get their kids to brush their teeth regularly as well as take the correct amount of time doing it. It is therefore as a result that many parents have resulted to using a kid electric toothbrush. Many kids are fascinated by this kind of toothbrush and find it fun to use.
In addition to getting kids to brush their teeth, electric toothbrushes have numerous benefits. For starters, they remove plaque better than manual toothbrushes, as they are faster. They also prevent kids from brushing too hard as this may lead to damage of the gums or even remove some part of the enamel, which will lead to sensitive teeth.
Today we will break down some of the reasons it is important to invest in an electric toothbrush for your children so that they will get the best possible oral hygiene. We will then take a closer look at three of the top models on the market.
Why kids need an electric toothbrush
If you aren’t quite convinced that you need to buy a brush that, let’s face it, is a good deal more expensive than the two-dollar options that you are used to, here are a few reasons that it can be beneficial for your children’s well-being.
Let’s now take an in depth look at a few of the reasons you should invest in an electric brush for your children.
- It teaches good habits: The electric toothbrush has always been at the forefront of oral hygiene technology, and that trend continues into the digital age. APP support has become a key feature of many new brushes. No, they don’t all feature it, but those that do are designed to train children and adults alike to practice good brushing habits. How Many contemporary electronic toothbrushes use APP technology to ensure that you brush your teeth for the dentist recommended two minutes. Some of them also monitor the regions of your mouth that you have already brushed in order to ensure that you use those 2 minutes to maximum effect and cover every necessary area.
- It makes brushing fun: Kids often enough don’t like brushing their teeth. If you look back into your own past, you will probably even be able to remember being a little kid once that hated the few minutes you spent in front of the mirror with a brush in your hand. Conversely, the electric brush is a lot more fun for kids. The literal function of the brush is engaging, but many brush companies that are marketing towards children step up the game even further with features like decals or APP support that are designed to be appealing to kids.
- It offers thorough clean: Electric toothbrushes are staggeringly more effective than their manual counterpart. In some cases, a good electric toothbrush can eliminate up to 100% more plaque and bacteria than a manual brush. That’s a pretty significant difference, but more importantly, it means that your children will have a lot less germs in their mouth.
A toothbrush in the hands of a toddler can always pose a risk to their gums, but with the electric brush, you need to be even more careful. That said, with supervision and proper technique, the process should go smoothly.
back to menu ↑
How to choose an electric toothbrush for kids
Prior to buying a children’s electric toothbrush, a parent should consider several first. This is because unlike electrical adult toothbrushes, kids’ electric-toothbrushes are designed specifically to tend to the small mouths of kids. Therefore, parents should be careful when buying an electric-toothbrush.
- The FIRST thing to consider is the size: Electric-toothbrushes for kids are smaller than those of adults to enable kids to handle them with ease. In addition, the brush heads are smaller to fit in their mouths. The handle too that you choose should make it easier for the child to hold and manipulate it in his/ her hand during brushing.
- Children are a delicate people: Their gum is no exception to this. Therefore, the brush that you choose should have soft and well-rounded bristles. If the toothbrush bristles are firm, then it will be easy for the child to damage the enamel as well as the gum line. Since children do not know how long to take when brushing, you could get one that has a timer. This feature will help the child to take just the right time. The timer will be part of his brushing routine and you will not have to struggle to get him to take the required amount of time.
At the same time, you need pick up the right brushing model for your children. Most electric toothbrushes come with a variety of modes that are designed to accommodate people’s unique needs. Take a look at the settings of each toothbrush to make sure that they are able to accommodate your children’s needs.
- Understand children’s interests and hobbies: As a result, many of the kids’ electric toothbrushes have themes and colors that attract children. Choosing the right theme for your child is key as it will determine how well he responds to the toothbrush. Take time and learn which color, cartoon, or action figure your kid likes before you take a pick.
If you are shopping at the store, take your child along. Maybe you can’t allow them to make the final decision, but at the same time you do want to invest in a product that they will be interested in actually using. Remember that part of what you are looking for out of an electric brush is that it engages your children. If they are interested in the brush that you buy, chances are you can count on them using it.
back to menu ↑
Top 5 best electric toothbrushes for kids
|Image||Product Name||Age Rage||Price||Our Review|
| Oral-B Crest
|4-24 months||Check Price||Read Review|
| Oral-B Jake And
|24-36 months||Check Price||Read Review|
| Philips Sonicare
|3–8 years||Check Price||Read Review|
| Oral-B Stages
Power Disney Dory
|3–8 years||Check Price||Read Review|
|Oral-B Frozen||above 8 years||Check Price||Read Review|
Now that we have gone over the value of an electric toothbrush, as well as the things to consider before you buy one. As we said, the first things you should consider are the size and your children’s age, there are 5 of the most popular products which specially designed for children covering the age from 4 months to 8+ years old. Let’s start with the different age groups.
For Age 4 – 36 Months old
For children at this stage, it is important to learn how to use the toothbrush properly, how to brush your teeth, and how to develop the habit of brushing teeth two times a day.
This is one of best toothbrushes for toddlers between 4-24 months.
- The most suitable size: The brush head is specially designed for small month, the wave shape handle fit the toddlers’ little hands perfectly, excellent grip
- Brushing with care: It offers soft bristles, carefully clean on the small baby teeth and growing gums.
This manual brush is called “Stage 2 suits”, it is another of good choice for older baby between 24-36 months.
- The diamond shape brush head is a good tool to clean the small baby teeth through reaches the concealed back teeth while the soft bristles can protecting the tender gums.
For Age 3 – 8 years old
For babies between 3 – 8 years old, anticavity and the pleasure of brushing will be the main factor in choosing toothbrushes.
This is the first model (technically pair of models) that we will be looking at comes from the always reputable company, Phillips, and both are part of their Sonicare line for kids.
In our previous review, we said the HX6321/02 and HX6321/05 are different mostly only in appearance, with the 05 model featuring decals from the popular film franchise Ice Age. That being the case, we will address their features simultaneously.
- SonicareKids App: It is a great innovation for the children’s electric toothbrush! This APP contains a comprehensive coach session; it integrated with KidTimer and KidPacer, tracks the brushing time and brushing areas through the monitoring system. This technology help make sure that your children pay equal attention to every area of their mouth for a clean that is as thorough as possible and remind them to brush at least 2 minutes each time. It is an excellent way for your children to establish a healthy brushing routine early on, and of course it will also help them to drastically reduce the risk of cavities.
- Child oriented brushing systems: 2 kid-friendly brushing modes – with a soft and careful brushing experience (low mode for younger children and high mode for older kids). In addition, Sonicare offers 2 sizes of brush heads to cover the age of 3-14, a special rubberized head is designed to protect children’s growing teeth and gums.
- Attractive appealing: Both models feature decals that should be pleasing to your children. The HX6321/02 offers 8 customer stickers and Fans of Ice Age will be particularly taken by the HX6321/05 model, which features character decals from the franchise. Children will like it!
Oral-B, another reputable brand in the world of toothbrushes has produced an electric toothbrush model decorated with the popular Finding Nemo character Dory.
- Disney Magic Timer™ App: The app that comes with this handle features characters from the film and helps your kids become further engaged in the process of brushing their teeth. It also features the timer we have discussed to help your kids hit the dentist recommended two-minute mark with their brushing.
- Entertain your children: The Dory decal is one thing—it certainly might be enough to draw your children’s attention, but it does not hurt that this brush also features 16 unique melodies that will play as your kids brush their teeth. The idea here is that the brush will make brushing fun.
- Extra soft bristles: Kids have sensitive gums, and unfortunately, they also don’t always know how to take care of them. The bristles on this brush are designed to be extra soft to take care of your kid’s gums even when they aren’t as gentle as they should be.
- Strong Battery Life: This model also features a powerful battery that will last for up to 5 days even if your children use it twice a day for the dentist recommended two minutes.
For Age above 8 years old
The final brush that we will be looking at follows closely the pattern we’ve seen from the last 2 by taking advantage of popular children’s characters. In this case, the theme is Frozen. Of course, the film can’t be the only factor that sells you on the brush. Let’s now take a look at the features to determine if this is the one for you.
- The Decals: The Dory decal is one thing—it certainly might be enough to draw your children’s attention, but it does not hurt that this brush also features 16 unique melodies that will play as your kids brush their teeth. The idea here is that the brush will make brushing fun.
- Gentle Brushing: The toothbrush head is specially designed to take care of the sensitive gums of your children to help ensure that they don’t injure themselves using the brush.
Picking out the right brush for your kids can be a game changer when it comes to their oral hygiene regimen. The process can admittedly be a little bit stressful. There are a lot of different models on the market, all with a unique slew of features to consider.
However, in as much as you want your child to be independent when brushing his teeth, you have to accept the fact that they will be clumsy first before they get to know how to go about it. Therefore, the power of the electric toothbrush should just be at the right level so that it can minimize the risk of the child hurting himself.
The good news is that once you find the right brush, the results will be well worth the time you spend doing research. Pick a high-quality electric brush today, to secure your children’s oral health for the future.