If you ask me what is the new trend of the electric toothbrush in 2017, I will say the new generation of electric toothbrushes will become more and more “smarter”, strengthening the interactive experience with the user during brushing.
If you want to choose a model with such interactive features in the product lines of Philips, I would recommend the Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected and DiamondClean Smart. Today we will be taking a comparative look at these two smart series and to see which line of brushes is right for you.
Both of brushes are on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of features, technology, and price. And stay competitive with other electric toothbrush manufacturers by offering Bluetooth connectivity technology. This technology connects your toothbrush to your phone via a Sonicare App that supplies you with real-time feedback that should help you improve your brushing sessions in a fun and convenient way.
The FlexCare Platinum Connected focuses on the incorporation of high-end features that are made possible by the integration of Bluetooth technology. They feature components such as timer and pacer technology, as well other data points (such as a feature they call “Touch Up”) that take data from the Bluetooth connectivity feature of your handle to improve your brushing habits in the long run.
There are 3 sales models of FlexCare Connected line, including:
- Model – HX9192/01, the standard kit
- Model – HX9192/02, the standard kit + a UV sanitizer
- Model – HX6962/73, the family kit + UV sanitizer
The DiamondClean Smart line benefits from all of those features as well but adds more to the mix. It is a deluxe offering that features more color options, premium travel case (including some that feature a built-in charging station) and more brush heads.
There are 3 sales models of DiamondClean Smart, including 9300, 9500 and 9700, which give you more options on the accessories.
They also benefit from a feature that is able to select the comprehensive brushing modes that most compliments the brush head that you are using at any given moment.
While both of the lines are on the higher end of the price spectrum, the DiamondClean Smart line is generally going to be even more expensive than the handles found in the FlexCare Connected line.
Appearance and Designing
The brushes on both lines bear a fairly standard appearance in terms of what you can expect to find in a high-end electric toothbrush handle.
The brush in the FlexCare Connected line only features a white handle and a white brush head. The faceplate on the platinum line is also pretty standard. There is a silver faceplate which uses a stitching embedded design style, featuring a power button (similar to a surface texture of stainless steel), LED lights to show the brushing modes and battery status, as well as another button to shift through the various modes of use and intensity settings.
The DiamondClean Smart line looks very different, it has applied the integrated design concept, except for the control buttons, there are no other cracks in the faceplate. This design looks smoother and can reduce the problem of toothpaste stains in the gap.
DiamondClean Smart line only features 2 buttons—one that turns the handle on and another that allows you to sift through the different modes, and intensity settings. Additionally, you will find LED icons on the face of the handle that represent the 5 brushing settings/statues available. These icons will light up when selected so you know what mode you are using.
Another significant difference in the appearance is the DiamondClean Smart – 9300 and 9500 series offers the owner the opportunity to choose between 4 different colors.
As the new flagship of the whole product lines, the DiamondClean 9700 is only in available in a very special color – Lunar Blue. This unique color is the only one in Philips’s electric toothbrushes. Besides, unlike to the 9300 and 9500, the upper and bottom rings of the 9700 handle are decorated with a golden layer – also a unique logo of the flagship.
back to menu ↑
Common features of Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected and DiamondClean Smart
- Sonicare APP: It is a great feature that is really changing the way that electric toothbrush handles to operate. App support provides users with lots of data (location sensor & Touch Up, pressure status and scrubbing sensor) on how they brush their teeth. It also empowers users to know where to start brushing their teeth and even where in their mouth they have or have not taken care of yet. It’s a really great feature that will help smartphone savvy users take their brushing to the next level. App support is not a new feature—many manufacturers have embraced the “smart handle” technology (for example – the Oral-B), but it is nevertheless still nice to see Sonicare embrace it as well.
- High-efficiency cleaning: No matter which line of toothbrushes you decide to take a look at, you are going to benefit from the improved efficiency of an electric handle. Either brush line is going to be able to remove up to 10 times more plaque or germs than a manual toothbrush. The DiamondClean 9700 is going to whiten your teeth and remove stains 100% more than your manual toothbrush was after the first 3 days of use. If you are looking to whiten your teeth, there are few other options out there that are as quick or efficient as that.
- Complete brushing modes: Having a variety of different brushing modes is a great way to give users the chance to experiment a little bit with their routine, and it also empowers them to be equipped to give their mouth an individualized clean that will adapt to their circumstance. The FlexCare Connected line comes with 3 modes (Clean, White, and Deep Clean) while the DiamondClean 9500 adds Gum Health mode, and the 9700 adds Gum Health and Tongue Cleaning. Realistically, you probably will not regularly use all of these modes, but they are definitely nice to have when situations come up that you do need them.
- Multiple modes of intensity: In addition to allowing you to choose from multiple modes, you are also able to alter the intensity of your brushing. All of the handles on both toothbrush lines feature 3 intensity choices that will help ensure you are comfortable with how you brush your teeth.
- Intelligent pressure sensor: The pressure sensor is a really great feature that comes in all of the brushes in both of the lines that we have looked at today. It’s pretty simple: Tthe pressure sensor will gently remind you with a vibrates or light up of its ring when you are applying too much pressure to your gums so that you won’t do lasting damage (The DiamondClean features a pressure sensor ring on the very bottom of the handle while the FlexCare Connected only vibrate the handle to give you the alert). Why is this an important feature? Gum damage is always a risk when you brush your teeth, but that risk is much more prevalent when you use an electric toothbrush. The same power that makes cleaning your teeth with an electric handle more efficient also makes it a little bit more dangerous to your gum health. The pressure sensor eliminates this risk.
Key Difference between Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected and DiamondClean Smart
Both lines feature a lot of commonalities in terms of technology and features. However, there are a few key differences that set them apart. It is because of these differences that the DiamondClean line is considered slightly more high-end than the Platinum series.
- One of the key differences between the two lines is that with the DiamondClean series you get more features. With the Platinum line, you get to enjoy 3 modes: Clean, White, and Deep Clean. With the DiamondClean line, you get those modes as well, but the handle also comes with a Gum Health mode on the 9300 model, and a Gum Health and a Tongue Cleaning mode in the 9500 and 9700 modes.
- The DiamondClean line upgrades the number of brush heads that you get in your package. In the FlexCare Connected, you get 2 brush heads while the DiamondClean Smart gives you 3 brush heads in 9300, 4 brush heads in 9500 and 8 brush heads in 9700. The 9700 comes with 8 brush heads (including a tongue brush) which is a great way for users to try out a variety of different heads that each perform a little bit differently. It will also save you a little bit of money because, with 8 different heads to start out with, you aren’t going to need to replace them as soon as you otherwise would have needed to.
- The DiamondClean smart offers you the lastest wireless charging technology which used by Apple and Samsung on their smartphones. There is a stylish glass charger that makes juicing up your handle easy and convenient. The glass adds a degree of elegance to your bathroom setup, and more importantly, it also provides your handle with a charge that will last for up to 2 weeks. Admittedly, the wireless charging technology probably is not going to make or break your buying decision. However, if you are already interested in the DiamondClean line, their innovative glass charger is certainly a unique feature that should sweeten the pot. Since the charger is so user-friendly, requiring only that you set your brush in it for it to work it sharply minimizes the possibility of you forgetting to charge your handle, which should prevent the frustration of finding out that it has died.
- The entire DiamondClean line comes with a decent carrying case that will both look stylish and make traveling with your deluxe handle pretty easy. The 9500 and the 9700, however, take things a little bit further by including a charging station in their carrying cases. The charging station offers a USB port that will make it easy to charge your handle on the go. It’s definitely not a necessary feature, but it does keep the Sonicare brushes competitive with some of the higher-end Oral-B brushes (which also feature a similar technology in their carrying case) and it’s also convenient for the user that takes their handle on the road.
- Finally, the DiamondClean Smart features an intuitive technology – called “BrushSync Mode Pairing” that automatically coordinates the settings that pair with the characteristics of each brush head you are using. That way, you can always be sure that your brush head and handle are working together to give you the best clean possible. When you click on a new brush head your handle is going to be able to identify what that head is, and select the mode that is right for it. As a result, you can always be confident in the fact that your brush and handle are working together to give you exactly what you are looking for in your brushing experience.
Key Features FlexCare Platinum
DiamondClean Smart 9300 DiamondClean Smart 9500 DiamondClean Smart 9700 Brushing modes 3 Modes: Clean, White,
4 Modes: Clean,
5 Modes: Clean,
5 Modes: Clean,
3 intensities setting ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Up to 31,000 brush strokes/min ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Removes up to 10x more plaque ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Improves gum health in only 2 weeks ✓ Up to 7x healthier gums ✓ ✓ ✓ Helps naturally remove stains ✓ Up to 100% less stains ✓ ✓ ✓ Faceplate Illuminated display Brushing mode, Intensities setting, Battery life Brushing mode, Intensities setting, Battery life, Replacement reminder Brushing mode, Intensities setting, Battery life, Replacement reminder Brushing mode, Intensities setting, Battery life, Replacement reminder Bluetooth & Sonicare APP ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ BrushPacer and Smartimer ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Pressure sensor & feedback Vibrates handle to alert user Ring lights up in purple,Vibrates handle to alert user Ring lights up in purple,Vibrates handle to alert user Ring lights up in purple,Vibrates handle to alert user Location sensor - tracks & improves coverage ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Scrubbing sensor - guides to reduce scrubbing ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ 3D mouth map - highlights trouble areas ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ TouchUp - to address missed spots ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Brush head replacement reminder ✓ ✓ ✓ BrushSync Mode Pairing ✓ ✓ ✓ Lithium ION rechargeable battery 14 days operating 14 days operating 14 days operating 14 days operating AdaptiveClean brush head 1x InterCare standard brush head 1x Premium Plaque Control brush head 1x 1x 3x Premium Gum Care brush head 1x 1x 2x Premium White standard brush head 1x 1x 2x TongueCare+ tongue brush 1x 1x 1x UV sanitizer ✓
(Only offers in HX9192/02)
1x Travel charger ✓ 1x Glass charger ✓ ✓ ✓ 1x Travel case ✓ 1x Premium travel case ✓ 1x Premium USB / wall outlet charging travel case ✓ ✓ Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price
Conclusions and Suggestions
Currently, the Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected and Diamond Clean Smart are the only two electric toothbrushes with full Bluetooth and App capabilities in Philips. Both lines utilize impressive Bluetooth connectivity technology you are going to be getting a brush that helps to improve your brushing regiment in an exciting new way.
However, both of them are considered to be higher-end or deluxe handles. While the Platinum line does feature a few mid-range handles that might not break your bank, for the most part, these are all pretty expensive brushes. The DiamondClean smart line, in particular, is sort of Sonicare’s gold standard electric toothbrush. As a result, it is priced considerably higher than many lower end brushes.
If you are on a tight budget, or just don’t want to spend a few hundred dollars on a toothbrush, these handles might not be right for your needs. Or you can start with the basic version of Sonicare 2 Series and 3 Series if you don’t want to invest too much at the current stage.However, if you are not interested in the Bluetooth/App function, I will recommend the DiamondClean series. Although you don’t have the “Smart” wireless control, you will still get the latest electric toothbrush technologies of Sonicare.
All in all, which handle is right for you?
As I said, the DiamondClean Smart line is the new flagship of Philips Sonicare in 2017, which admittedly a higher-end option. I will recommend the 9300 since it brings you a plenty of the latest technologies which you will really need.
On the other hand, the feature-rich FlexCare connected line also provides a comprehensive clean at a relatively affordable price. If you don’t need to spend the extra money to get the latest brush or want to save a little bit of money but still get a high-end brush, the FlexCare connected is definitely a great opportunity to treat yourself to an upgrade.
No matter what, the good news is that you would be getting a high-quality brush regardless of which line you decide to get and make your next trip to the dentist’s office a little bit less stressful.